SAN FRANCISCO, CA.HISTORY Built in 1904 by architect Frank Shea for the second Archbishop of San Francisco, Patrick Riordan, this French chateau-style mansion is located on historic Alamo Square Park among the famous Victorian-era "Painted Ladies" that grace the area. The interior boasts hand-carved redwood and mahogany woodwork and a grand staircase. Each of the 15 guestrooms and suites are named after a famous opera. The 1,200 square-foot Don Giovanni Suite is the same bedroom once used by the archbishop and contains a four-poster canopied bed carved in Italy in 1639 (below) .Three different Archbishops have resided in this home, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. French antiques, a chandelier from the set of "Gone with the Wind" (below), a gold-leafed mirror in the Great Hall from the home of Mary Todd Lincoln and a 1904 Bechstein Baby Grand Piano which once belonged to Noel Coward, all grace the mansion. The piano is used to play "The Wedding March" at the many nuptial ceremonies that are held there. In 1955, the mansion became a Catholic boy's school and then subsequently a convent, an orphanage and a rehabilitation center. In 1982, two Hollywood set designers and opera buffs purchased the mansion and met their vision of an opera-themed bed & breakfast. Archbishop Riordan had an intense fear of fire, and as a result the mansion was constructed of stone and stucco in contrast to the surrounding wooden buildings in the area to lessen the chance of conflagration. Two years later the great earthquake of 1906 hit San Francisco. The devastation and loss of life to the city was incalculable, but the mansion stood strong. The archbishop passed away in 1914.THE HAUNTING OF THE ARCHBISHOP'S MANSION The stairway of the mansion is a place where paranormal phenomena seems to occur on a regular basis. The archbishop has been spotted on the staircase by the house's caretaker holding a candle. He has also witnessed the elevator doors open and close by themselves with no one in the hotel. The caretaker is of the opinion that the archbishop still wanders the mansion, making certain everything is in order. When the mansion was used as a boy's school, two young students were playing on the stairs, having a sort of "play-fight" with pillows and chasing each other. One of the boys fell over the rail (some accounts say he was pushed) and tragically died as the result of his injuries. The spirit of the little boy lingers at the mansion, running the halls, knocking on doors and generally being mischievous.The Grand Staircase The baby grand piano once owned by actor, playwright and musician Noel Coward also is a source of unusual activity. It has been known to play by itself on occasion as witnessed by the aforementioned caretaker. One night while going about his duties in the empty B&B, he heard the sounds of baroque-style music coming from the stairway where the piano is located. To his amazement, no one was there.