SOUTH HERWANG, INDONESIA       DATE: November 11, 1976 TAKEN BY: Tony Hartono BACKGROUND: At 2:00pm in November of 1976, Mr. Tony Hartono, an engineer, had taken photographs of the off- shore oil rig his company ARCO Indonesia was building in order to illustrate his progress report. He had one left and was standing on a platform facing the sea, wondering what else he could shoot to finish the film roll. Suddenly his attention was attracted to a little dark speck in the sky which was growing larger as it approached. It became a yellowish color as it continued its approach and came quite near the launch he was in. He used his last shot to capture this object on film. (ufoevidence) COLFAX, WISCONSIN       DATE: April 19, 1978 TAKEN BY: Officer Mark Coltrane BACKGROUND: Officer Coltrane was on patrol in the vicinity of Colfax, a small town with a thousands of inhabitants in Wisconsin, USA. At midday, he decided to stop the car to eat something, in a small isolated area. He noted that his radio was emitting crackles. He then noticed a metallic looking disc raising towards the the sky at a short distance from the parking space. While the object seemed to move towards him, Coltrane picked up his Polaroid camera, came out of the car and snapped some photographs. The object was so close in one of the images that it is possible to notice some details of its lower surface. In [the second] photograph the object is starting to move away. The total observation lasted a few minutes, the object being being lost from his sight when it accelerated and fled in the distance. Coltrane, shocked by the sighting, remained in amazement for two hours without saying anything, by fear of being ridiculed when he would have to submit his report to his chiefs.   MOTONAU, NEW ZEALAND      DATE: October 27, 1979 TAKEN BY: Unknown BACKGROUND: Two former Air Force photographic analysts called this picture, "inscrutable." In other words, a mystery. This one photo is from a series of photos, none of the others had an unknown in it. The object was not seen nor heard at the time. AJUSCO PARK, MEXICO        DATE: January 1981 TAKEN BY: Carlos Diaz BACKGROUND: Mexican photographer Carlos Diaz pulled into a deserted car park at Ajusco Park near Mexico City. He was on an assignment for a magazine, and had arranged to meet a journalist who was yet to arrive. Diaz sat in his car, preparing his camera for the job ahead. Impatiently, Diaz began to look at his watch. Suddenly, his attention was caught by a strange yellow glow coming from the valley below him. At first he thought it was a forest fire, but, an instant later, the source of light revealed itself to be a large, orange, oval-shaped UFO, slowly hovering about 30 meters from his car. This was to be the beginning of one of the most compelling continuous contact cases in UFO history as Diaz reports he is contacted by the same beings to this day and has delivered a strong environmental message from these beings. Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, John Mack. Mack has a long history of dealing with abductees and contactees and believes that the Diaz case is among the most convincing he has come across. Interestingly, the photographs were also analyzed by Dr Robert Nathan at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California. Nathan, a notorious UFO skeptic, stated that he could find no evidence of a fake. Certainly, for many who have examined the three images, the first shot is the most impressive. In it, the orange glowing craft can be seen through the windshield of the car, and light from the object is reflected both off the car's bonnet and off the metal guard rail by the side of the road. These, in particular, are details that experts claim are extremely difficult to fake. VANCOUVER, CANADA           DATE: October 8, 1981 TAKEN BY: Hannah McRoberts BACKGROUND: At about 11:00 A.M., McRoberts is with her husband and their daughter on a service area close to Kelsey Bay, on the East coast of the Vancouver Island. During their pause they notice a cloud which passes on the top of a mountainous peak and makes the impression of an erupting volcano spitting a huge vapor blast. They find the scene rather amusing and worth a picture. Several days afterwards, when the photographs are developed, they notice on one of the photograph that there is a disc-type object in the sky. They are surprised, as they do not remember noticing anything in the sky at the time when they shot the photograph. They contact David Dodge, director of the of Vancouver planetarium. He examines the picture and remains disturbed by this singular photograph. He contacts ufologist, David Powell, who analyzes the pictures and cannot find any evidence of tampering. Richard F. Haines, a retired NASA scientist who became a famous ufologist, becomes interested in the Vancouver case. He carries out a thorough analysis of the negative and cannot discover any tampering either. His analysis is inserted in the scientific report of the Sturrock Panel.   WATERBURY, CONNECTICUT   DATE: May 26, 1987 TAKEN BY: Randy Etting BACKGROUND: Mr. Etting was taking a walk outside his home. A commercial airline pilot with over 30 years experience, he always looked at the sky. On the night he took the photograph, he saw a number of orange and red lights approaching from the west. He got his binoculars and called his neighbors to come outside. The object, by this time was a great deal closer and seemed to be over I-84, just east of Etting's home... the lights were shimmering like distortion from engine heat, but he could hear no sound. Etting stated: "As the UFO passed over I-84, cars in both the east and west bound lanes began pulling over and stopping. The UFO displayed a semi- circular pattern of very bright multicolored lights. Five motorists reported that, as the object became visible, a number of cars lost power and had to pull off the highway." A State Police officer [who wishes to remain anonymous] sent to investigate photographed the object. "... Dr. Bruce Maccabee... [analyzed the photo]. His findings indicate the object was huge, perhaps over a thousand feet across, and that the lights showed a definite pattern. He also indicated the lights seemed to have been flashing very quickly in some sort of sequence, giving the impression that some were out of focus while others were sharp." PETIT RECHAIN, BELGIUM       DATE: April 4, 1990 TAKEN BY: Unknown BACKGROUND: One of the most famous UFO pictures ever taken. The photographer, to anyone's knowledge, still remains unnamed. Taken on an April night during a well known "wave," the photo very clearly shows a triangle- shaped object with lights. One of the best proofs of UFOs we have, especially of a triangle. Original photo was too dark to show object outline, and had to be lightened. Occurred during the "Belgian Wave" beginning in 1989. SZABOLCS-SZATMAR, HUNGARY        DATE: October 27, 1996 TAKEN BY: Lajos Kosina BACKGROUND: Lajos Kosina was visiting his girl friends parents house in the small village of Erpatak in the county of Szabolcs-Szatmar, Hungary. Lajos’s girlfriend posed for one snapshot in her parents garden and no one noticed anything unusual in the sky at the time. HUFON have studied the photograph using both optical and computer techniques on the original negative and have concluded that that the UFO is not a result of a film fault, nor is it a small model suspended on a wire. HUFON researchers are convinced that it is a genuine UFO and not the result of a hoax.   PHOENIX, ARIZONA       DATE: March 13, 1997 TAKEN BY: Unknown BACKGROUND: The Phoenix Lights UFO incident is a complex series of events that took place on March 13, 1997 over the states of Nevada, Arizona, and possibly New Mexico, and which would quickly become known as the "Phoenix Lights" sightings. It involved sightings by tens, or perhaps even hundreds, of thousands of witnesses on the ground, and it gave rise to a storm of controversy over what had caused the event. Investigators may never be able to re-assemble all of the facts surrounding the events that took place over Arizona on the night of March 13, 1997. However, there is no doubt in the minds of most that what occurred was extraordinarily bizarre in nature, and that many thousands of witnesses can attest to the events. (see also: Top Ten UFO Encounters in the UFO/USO section for a complete report on this sighting) KARAGOL, TURKEY        DATE: February 19, 1996 TAKEN BY: Cem Arat and Mehmet Safak BACKGROUND: "For at least a hundred times", Arat and Safak returned to the site at the Yamanlar Mountain Peak near Karagol, where they saw and photographed a strange object in February 1996. This time, one of them was called up by the Army, so they decided to go a last time as a kind of "farewell party". And this time another UFO showed up! They shot a lot of pictures, but the object was moving so fast, that they caught it on only two. After their military service, in the beginning of the year 2000, they contacted a local TV channel and told their story. Their photos were examined by an expert of the Aegaean University of Izmir, Dr. Ahmet Imancer, head of the Photography and Graphic Dept. He stated that he was convinced they were not a hoax and estimated the diameter of the object to be about 20 meters (60 feet), its distance about 500 meters (500 yards). The Turkish UFO research center SIRIUS requested another analysis by the "On Photography House" in Istanbul, which, on June 16, 2000, stated: "As a result of our analysis of the 35 mm negative film, we concluded that the images on the negatives are genuine and there is no indication of a hoax on the photos delivered from these negatives. The negatives and the photographs were examined by computer and no modifications were found on them."   BUDAPEST, HUNGARY      DATE: September 29, 2001 TAKEN BY: Unnamed Hungarian military pilot BACKGROUND: A military pilot recorded a spectacular video of a silver disk object on this date. The craft was flying to his left side and then moved very fast past him in the clouds as can be seen in the video. "I was on a flight over Budapest, Hungary," said the pilot, who has requested that his name be withheld until the official inquiry by the Hungarian Ministry of Defense is complete. "To my left I saw a bright metal aircraft that was the shape of a perfect disk. I was careful to film the object, not to try and chase it since it I could not match its speed. As I was flying a reconnaissance aircraft, I got the idea to film it and used our equipment." Officials at the Ministry of Defense would not answer questions about the video when asked and warned that officially they have no comment. Despite the denial, when informed of the pilot's name, they did acknowledge that the he was a real air force pilot and that it was true that he flew photo reconnaissance airplanes. The pilot considers the video he made to be his property and not the Hungarian governments as he was flying the plane while not on duty and was transporting it as a favor to save the government money. He has now hired an attorney and wants the video to be released to the public. He hopes the release of a few frames will make this happen.       SKUROWA, POLAND     DATE: July 26, 2003 TAKEN BY: Anonymous BACKGROUND: The unidentified object was first noticed as it flew above the city of Skurowa at an extremely high altitude. Then it changed course and flew over a market. The initial photos were taken while the witness (who maintains his anonymity) was in his garden, but when the object began to move away, he looked for a better vantage point. He quickly ran to his balcony, and took several more photos of the object. As the photos were taken, the object was not very clear to the witness, who hoped that the film would show the object good enough for study. The report stirred enough publicity in the area that a local newspaper carried the report with photograph. The witness is soliciting corroboration from others, through the newspaper, who saw and / or photographed the unknown object.     STARKSBORO, VERMONT        DATE: January 29, 2004 TAKEN BY: R.W. Martin BACKGROUND: "On January 29th 2004, on the way home from picking up my 6 year old from kindergarten I saw something in the sky. I grabbed a disposable camera that I had in the car and shot through the windshield, then jumped out of the car and snapped a second and then it was gone. I got two photos (close-up above, full images below). To me it was a UFO, but maybe there is another explanation? The object looks a little different in each photo-- maybe it was turning or whatever. I wish I had gotten a better shot or more of them." FAIR USE NOTICE: This page may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This website distributes this material without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in 17 U.S. C 107