THE PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE       ARKANSAS   1905 BASIN PARK HOTEL (EUREKA SPRINGS) Sister hotel to the 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa, the Basin Park Hotel was built in 1905 by William Duncan, after nearly bankrupting all investors involved. The ghost of Duncan, in his traditional brown suit and derby, is believed to still be roaming the property. Some of the more frequent sightings include a translucent young woman with “cotton candy blonde hair and steel blue eyes” dressed in turn-of-the-century clothing and seen floating on the third floor. In addition, there is a  little girl of age three or four in a yellow dress with long, brown pigtails seen skipping through the lobby and the coffeehouse. A full-figured lady with curly, red hair who “drinks milk and eats cookies” makes her presence known in the coffeehouse; one who was “confirmed” by a visiting medium. A tall, thin man with a brown beard wearing a tan suit and hat has been seen in both he Grand Ballroom and Room 519. Other reports have been by employees working late in our seventh floor ballroom who have reported cold ‘passings’ as they clean up after a function. In the Rooftop Billiards Room where the pool ball rack has been seen flying off the wall and landing between two tables with no one standing anywhere close. This has happened on numerous occasions. THE ALLEN HOUSE (MONTICELLO) The Allen House was built in 1906 by renowned architect Sylvester Hotchkiss and builder Josiah Barkley White. It was built for Joe Allen and his family. A combination of Queen Anne; Gothic; and Neo-classical styles, it is certainly one of the most beautiful houses in the state. Occupying 8,000 square feet with a full attic and three stories, it is more of a mansion than a house. Carol Wilson, an author who lived in the Allen House for quite some time has created a novel describing her experiences in the house. The Allen House is reportedly still haunted by its former owners. Joe Allen, who had the house built, was a very successful business man and was an outstanding citizen of Monticello. He died of a heart attack on a demonstration of a motor vehicle for sale. He was survived by his wife Caddye and his three daughters; Lewie Manker, Lonnie Lee, and Ladell. He also had a son named Walter Edwin who died during infancy. One of Joe Allen’s daughters (LaDell) committed suicide in the house by drinking cyanide. Not long after her death, Joe decided to move the family to a different location. However, Ladell was left in the house and when the building was turned into cheaper apartments, tenants started to see LaDell for themselves. A doctor who lived in the house thought that the ghost stories were far from real. However, when pictures he took of the building were developed, he could clearly see LaDell in a mirror in one of the photos. Another couple who lived in the building claimed to have seen LaDell’s ghost inside the closet. After trying to close the door shut, they heard someone giggling. One of the floors was also turned into a retail shop on the first floor. Every night the storekeeper would lock the door and when he came back in the morning he would find some of the things missing. Other people who lived in the house have heard crying; footsteps in the upstairs floors; and crying from empty rooms. The police have even been called to the house numerous times for fear of intruders but when they checked the house there was no one else there. ARGENTA HISTORIC DISTRICT (LITTLE ROCK) The present-day Argenta District in North Little Rock has a tension-filled past. The Argenta Race Riot of 1906 led to the hanging and shooting of innocent restaurant owner Homer Blackman at the Argenta City Hall and fire station. Today, the building houses the North Little Rock History Commission and visitors and employees have reported strange occurrences in the building – including unexplainable noises, footsteps, and the eerie sound of a man rasping and choking. In the same area, at 415 Main Street, many reports of a vision of a woman and man walking arm-in-arm have been made. ARKANSAS HIGHWAY 365 (LITTLE ROCK) Years ago, a young man was driving down Arkansas 365 south of Little Rock when he saw a young girl on the roadside. He offered to give her a lift and draped his coat over her shoulders because she was cold and soaked from the rain. She gave him directions to her house. When the young man got out of the car and walked around to the other side to help her out of her seat -- no one was there. Confused, the man walked up to the house and knocked on the door. A woman answered and he explained what had occurred. She said, "That young girl is my daughter, who was killed years ago. She hitchhikes back home once a year." The young man then drove to the cemetery to see the young girl's grave. There he found his coat draped over her tombstone. ARKANSAS METHODIST MEDICAL CENTER (PARAGOULD) The most frequent sighting is the ghost of a little blond haired boy on the fourth floor. No one knows who he is, but he is about 5 or 6 and wears white pajamas. He is usually spotted by patients who know nothing of the ghost. He is usually playing or looking for a kitten. Sometimes there is more than one child. They have been seen on the fourth floor, the garden, and in one of the stairwells. Another ghost sighting occurred in room 321. A very alert and oriented patient looked up from reading to see the room in blood red. A man in a confederate uniform was standing in the room. He said he didn’t do anything for a few minutes. Then, when he called the nurse station, the man disappeared and the room went back to normal. The fifth floor is supposed to host the ghost of an elderly female. And the ICU is also supposed to have had strange events happen. Objects in there have moved inexplicably. ARKANSAS STATE CAPITOL (LITTLE ROCK) The Arkansas State Capitol as we know it today was built on the grounds of the former Arkansas State Penitentiary? During the excavation of the foundation around 1899, long-forgotten rotten wood coffins were unearthed, revealing the remains of the state’s past criminals. These days in the basement, disembodied voices have been heard. The 1932 tragedy of Representative Ira Gurley being crushed to death by the Capitol’s south elevator has been tied to the same elevator acting of its own accord. In other parts of the building, visitors and state employees have reported seeing a woman dressed in period clothing floating down the marble staircases. ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY (EUREKA SPRINGS) Arkansas Tech University in Russellville boasts many tales of ghosts said. Opened in 1910, Arkansas Tech enrolled men for farming and women for cooking. A female student named Gracie was distraught and committed suicide by hanging herself in Caraway Hall. Today, Arkansas Tech students and faculty report seeing an apparition believed to be Gracie’s ghost. Arkansas Tech University boasted a talented basketball player named James Paul Lovelady in the 1950s. People flocked to his games and considered him capable of becoming a professional basketball player. However, he was injured in a car crash and died of a blood clot. In recent years, a basketball coach was inside Tucker Coliseum late one night, when he heard a sound of a basketball being dribbled coming from the basketball courts. Believing he was alone, the coach checked the building but did not find anyone. Along similar lines, coaches reported a trophy being moved from a trophy case. Arkansas Tech enjoyed a band director named James Witherspoon, until he died in 1979. Today, Arkansas Tech is keeping his name alive in the form of Witherspoon Hall. People report hearing pianos playing by themselves. ARLINGTON RESORT HOTEL (HOT SPRINGS) If you ask the staff at the Arlington Resort Hotel if it is haunted they will fiercely deny any paranormal activity. However, guests will tell a very different tale! Not only do wine bottle have a habit of jumping off of shelves when nobody is near them, but there have been persistent reports of a number of different apparitions throughout the hotel. Guests have reported a number of apparitions wandering the hallways and lobby dressed in old-fashioned clothing who vanish into thin air! Among these apparitions is a lady in a wedding dress who stares out of the window into the street, perhaps waiting for a bridegroom who never shows up. The ghost of a man in a black suit is often seen wandering into the hotel laundry and will wave at anyone who spots him. There is also a ghostly bellhop wandering the fourth floor and a little girl in a pink dress in the lobby. Guests have also reported lights flickering, taps turning on and off by themselves, disembodied laughter and the feeling that someone has brushed against them when there is nobody around. Room number 824 seems to be a particular hotspot and people say there is an evil presence there. CAPTAIN MULL’S HOUSE (HOLLYGROVE) This home was originally built by slaves and owned by a man named James Kerr. It was sold to Captain Mull, a retired sea captain, he met and married an Indian girl which he loved dearly. When she died he was devastated and so reluctant to part from her that her body was sealed in a glass casket and kept in the house. After the man's death in 1935, the girl was buried in a local cemetery. It is said at night the sounds of the woman playing the piano can be heard from the deserted house. CLAYTON HOUSE (FORT SMITH) Once the home of William Henry Harrison Clayton and his family, the antebellum house is now one of Arkansas’ most beloved structures. In the house, William Clayton and his wife, Florence, had 6 daughters and one son. The home has 8 rooms with ornate coal-burning fireplaces; a semi-detached servants’ quarters and a kitchen. There is one bedroom on the second floor which frightens people. People have reported hearing doors slamming, boots stomping and music playing in empty rooms. The former director claimed to have seen the apparition of a woman dressed in a linen shirt and brown skirt in Mr. Clayton’s study one day. A carpenter who was doing some repairs in 2007 and 2008 took pictures before doing the repairs and when the pictures were developed, there was what appeared to be a woman in one of them. EVP including one that sounded like a meowing cat have been recorded. There is also one of a man shouting obscenities and someone calling Anna. It is interesting to know that the Claytons had a daughter named Ann. On one occasion a woman had her hair tugged and a man reported seeing the face of a woman in the boardroom, the same room where the carpenter took pictures. CONWAY CEMETERY (BRADLEY) Conway cemetery is located in a park of the same name in the town of Bradley with the earliest burial listed as 1845. It was named after James S. Conway, Arkansas’ first elected governor and is the final resting place for several families who dominated early Arkansas politics. Many have reported shadowy figures, disembodied voices and baby cries and the feeling of unwelcomness when exploring this creepy location after dark. Also near the old tree that was once used for hanging are the sounds of phantom moaning, whispers and the apparition of a man swinging from a rope under a full moon. CRESCENT HOTEL (EUREKA SPRINGS) This 1886 “seedily elegant”, white granite stoned, 5 story hotel was described by its well-known designer, Isaac L. Taylor, as having a Victorian-French Gothic architecture, with many towers and “jutting out” balconies, resembling a huge French Chateau. In 1908, A. S. Maddox and J.H. Phillips opened the exclusive Crescent College and Conservatory for Young Women during the year in this fine hotel and operated it as the traditional summer resort hotel during the summer, until 1924. Until 1937, various people leased the hotel for the summer resort season. In 1937, a slightly paranoid Iowan medical quack, by the name of Norman Baker, bought the place and opened a hospital and “health resort”, claiming to have cures to such diseases as cancer by having his patients drink the fresh spring water. His operation closed in 1940 when he was convicted in federal court of defrauding the public with his “medical treatment” and was sent to prison for four years. The hotel was shut up until 1946, until new investors reopened The Crescent Hotel and managed to reestablish it as a resort hotel. It has been opened for business ever since. While walking through the dining room at night, cold spots in the room can chill the living, no matter what time of year it happens to be at the moment. The most annoying, but playful entity that likes to tease the maids and visitors, is a ghost by the name of Michael, who was either an Irish stonemason or a Swedish carpenter who fell to his death during the 1884-1886 construction era of the hotel. His apparition, seen by many people, is described as being a muscular man in his early 20s, having intensely blue eyes, a bushy blond beard and out of control, long blond hair. Inside room 218, he enjoys teasing the living by playing tricks with the lights, the T.V. and pounds loudly on the inside of the stone walls. People have heard strange noises and felt strange sensations while staying in the room. Also, some have felt a presence watching them in this room. Another entity around room 218 is a gentleman who wears Victorian clothing, including a frock coat and a frilled shirt and is a bit of a grouch and can be action oriented. His face has been described as being waxy pallor in color, and he has a black mustache. A former owner of The Crescent Hotel, Mr. Feagins, first saw this entity near the lobby staircase. This entity melted into the air right in front of Mr. Feagins’ eyes. Later, while sleeping in room 218, Mr. Feagins awoke in the middle of the night and saw this same apparition standing at the foot of his bed, glowing in the dark, grimly staring at him. This detailed apparition was also seen sitting at the bar in the lobby near the stairway, when an auditor came in to get a drink of water. This entity looked so real, that the auditor spoke to him, but was ignored and the entity just stared straight ahead. When the second auditor came in and spoke to him also, still no response. Thinking that this unresponsive stranger was drunk, they decided to leave him alone. As they walked away from him, one of the auditors looked over his shoulder and the man had vanished. On occasion, the door of room 218 has slammed shut on the living after it was opened up by the room key and a salesman was shaken awake and felt a presence trying to push him out of bed. On the third floor, many visitors have seen the specter of a nurse, dressed in white, pushing a gurney down the hall, before vanishing before the living witnesses. In room 424, a male entity scared a couple out of the room when he walked right through the outside door to the room’s bathroom. The apparition of a confused Norman Baker has been seen in the area of the basement recreation room and near the foot of the steps that go up to the first floor. Before the switchboard was replaced, the desk clerks used to get phone calls from the locked up basement recreation room. After receiving such a call, a clerk decided to check out the basement. The clerk found that the phone in the basement room was on the hook and felt a strong presence in the room with him. He quickly locked up the room again. Five minutes later, they received yet another call from this same basement room. He didn’t investigate again. CROOKED CREEK (HARRISON) It seems that ghosts most often walk in the place where they were murdered or died without warning. On November 21, 1912, Ella Barham was out riding, but her horse returned without her. Hunters that same night spotted suspicious looking objects under a pile of rocks near an abandoned mine shaft. The objects turned out to be the corpse of Ella, butchered into several pieces by a saw. Rumor had it that she had spurned the advances of a young man named Odus Davidson. Being suspected of the crime he fled into the woods with the posse behind him. He peppered his socks to keep the bloodhounds from trailing him, but he was caught, none the less. He admitted that he had been cutting wood near the place Ella had last been seen and that she had even come through his yard. He was found guilty and hanged just before the Arkansas death penalty was changed to electrocution. Odus was the last man legally hanged in Arkansas. Although the body of the victim had be en cut up horribly, the ghost of a young woman dressed in white wandering near the mine shaft is always seen in one piece. CURRAN HALL (LITTLE ROCK) Currently the home of the Little Rock Visitors Information Center, the house was originally built by Colonel Ebenezer Walters for his young bride Mary. Mary Walters was never able to see the completed structure, as she died in childbirth just before the house was finished. Grief-stricken, Colonel Walters left the state and the house was owned by several different people – some of whom have reported experiencing the presence of Mary Walters. Visitor Center staff has also experienced eerie occurrences, including a picture coming off the wall and a coffee machine making coffee with no grounds or water present. A team of supernatural experts has even captured a voice recording saying “Mary that’s who I am.” FORT CHAFFEE (FORT CHAFFEE) Fort Chaffee trained soldiers for combat, held German POWs in the '40s, and housed hostile Cuban refugees in the '80s. Hundreds died there and today reports of paranormal activity persist. Currently, 66,000 acres are used by the Arkansas National Guard as a training facility, with the Arkansas Air National Guard using the fort’s Razorback Range for target practice. Groundbreaking for what was then Camp Chaffee was held on September 20, 1941, as part of the Department of War’s preparations to double the size of the U.S. Army in the face of imminent war. The site, which experienced major fires in 2008, has also been used in several films, including A Soldier’s Story in 1984, Biloxi Blues in 1988, and The Tuskegee Airmen in 1995. Elvis Presley also stopped here on the way to his basic training. Today, two locations at Fort Chaffee are known to be rife with paranormal activity. One was the old medical complex which contained 128 buildings all interconnected with long hallways and included its own bowling alley, theater and postal exchange. Some paranormal teams have reported female voices in the old OB/GYN clinic, shadow people in the high security section of the mental health ward, odd cols spots throughout the very hot compound and the apparition of only an arm. The Ghost Adventures TV show also experienced some of this phenomena as well as some very interesting EVP. A video of a ball of light dancing toward the camera and a growl from the infirmary have also been witnessed. The medical complex has since burned down in a fire. GHOST MOUNTAIN (FAYETTEVILLE) A tragic story surrounds a mountain southeast of Drake Field airport in Fayetteville. In the 1930s, a man came home to his wife and child after a long night of drinking. His wife had been up all night caring for the sick child, whose incessant crying had made the inebriated father furious. In his anger, he grabbed the baby, stumbled outside and threw the child down their well. His wife grabbed the well’s rope in an attempt to save the baby, but the father cut the rope, leaving the wife and child in the well. The father left town, never to be seen again, but reports have been made that a woman’s screams and a baby’s crying can still be heard in this location. GURDON LIGHT (GURDON) The Gurdon Lights was first reported in the 1930s and the sightings haven’t stopped since…nor have the “explanations.” In 1994, the “light” garnered national attention when the NBC television series, Unsolved Mysteries featured the phenomenon on the program. Regardless of the origin of the Gurdon Lights, nearly 80 years after the first document sighting, people are still visiting the site and seeing the glow. The light appears along a stretch of railroad tracks outside of the town. Some people believe the light originates from the reflection of headlights of cars off of Interstate 30. However, the site is more than two miles from the highway, and people began seeing the light several decades before Interstate 30 was built in the 1970s. Others believe that swamp gas creates the light, though the light appears in all kinds of weather. A somewhat popular story is that a railroad worker was working outside of town one night when he accidentally fell into the path of the train and was killed. Since his head was severed from his body, many locals say that the light is the lantern his ghost uses while looking for his head. Still others believe that pressure on the quartz crystal underneath Gurdon causes them to let off electricity and produce the light. Many trace the Gurdon Light legend to a murder that took place near the railroad tracks in December 1931. William McClain, a foreman with the Missouri-Pacific railroad, was involved in an argument with one of his employees, Louis McBride, regarding how many days McBride was being allowed to work. During the Depression, the company did not have the option of giving McBride more hours on the job. McBride became very angry, hit McClain on the head with a shovel, and beat him to death with a railroad spike maul or a spike hammer. The Gurdon Light was first sighted shortly after this murder, and many have come to believe that the light is actually McClain’s ghostly lantern glowing. HARDING COLLEGE (SEARCY) Harding is featured in the book “Haunted Halls of Ivy: Ghosts of Southern Colleges and Universities” by Daniel W. Barefoot for having a student who never left: the Galloway ghost. Galloway College for Women opened in 1888 and closed in 1933. The campus was acquired by Harding College in 1934 when it relocated from Morrilton, Arkansas. According to the book, a student named Gertrude (Gertie) fell down an elevator shaft in Godden Hall when investigating a sound she heard while returning to her dorm room for the night. The bricks from Godden Hall were used to build the Lee Building. A story from the 1999 Petit Jean yearbook tells the account of a group of boys who spent the night in the Lee building to prove Gertie did not exist, but in return heard unexplainable soft piano music playing and called security to rescue them. In a 2013 article from The Bison, Jim Johnson, then director of student support services, told of his Gertie encounter. He said while working in the Lee Building, his phone malfunctioned, and he heard piano music and a woman’s voice singing.”All I thought was, ‘Man, that is so pretty,’ but then I remembered that there were no more pianos in the building, and I was alone,” Johnson reported in the article. HENDERSON STATE UNIVERSITY (ARKADELPHIA) For many years, there were two colleges in the city that were great rivals, the Ouachita Baptist University and Henderson Brown College (which is now Henderson State). Henderson was a Methodist college and it was located right across the street from the Baptist school. The Legend of the “Lady in Black” began in 1912, following the tenure of a Henderson student named Nell Page, who is credited with creating the story. According to legend, the Lady in Black roamed the halls in the girls’ dormitory on homecoming predicting who would win the Battle of the Ravine. If she wore black, it signified a victory for the Reddies; if clothed in white, a victory for Ouachita was predicted. After Nell’s death at an early age, the story goes that it was her ghost who walked the halls. The story goes that a number of years ago, there was a young student at rival Ouachita who fell in love with Nell. They spent all of their time together, despite the disapproval of their friends, and fell in love. The constant harassment of the boy's friends must have wore on him constantly, because at one point it finally became too much. They convinced him that because of the differing schools, and their religious differences, the relationship was never going to work out. At last, he broke things off, much to Nell’s dismay. After a little while, he began dating a girl at his own school and he seemed to forget all about his Baptist lover.... but Nell had not forgotten about him. When she discovered that he was taking this new girl to the homecoming dance she became despondent and committed suicide. HORNIBROOK HOUSE (LITTLE ROCK) Originally built as the most extravagant dwelling in the state by wealthy saloonkeeper James H. Hornibrook, the house currently operates as The Empress of Little Rock, a luxury bed and breakfast. Several paranormal encounters have been witnessed by owner Robert H. Blair, workers and guests. Blair saw a period- dressed gentleman, complete with top hat, floating down the stairs. While restoring the secret poker room in the attic hired painter Timmy Watts found himself locked out, even though no handle or lock was on the door yet. When he returned with a screwdriver to let himself back in, Watts saw that the door was now open and the same image of a man that Blair previously witnessed appeared before him. IZZARD COUNTY One tale takes place in the Hurricane Creek area off Knob Creek Road in Melbourne. Reports of a ghostly American Indian brave atop a phantom pony have filtered down through the years. As the story goes, those who witness this ethereal show can actually hear and feel the vibrations of the horse’s hoof beats as the two ride by. The location is locally known to have been the site of American Indian burial mounds. Another little known Izard County story concerns a residence, now used mostly for storage, in Boswell. Once the home of “Doc” Fleming, a physician in the county, the building is now known as the Bleeding House. Using the downstairs as an infirmary and the upstairs for living quarters, Fleming cared for the needs of local residents. He was also allegedly addicted to opium, which led to his untimely death on train tracks near his home in 1934. According to stories since his death, a strange crimson mold now grows on the house, hanging from the floorboards of the second floor. Also, Rick Dowdle of Exploring Izard County said the outside walls of Fleming’s bedroom turned a rather dark shade of red after his death, and although multiple attempts to paint over the color have been made, the red continues to bleed through today. According to legend, a family was traveling west in the mid- 19th century when a little girl in the family fell sick and died. The family buried her in the cemetery by the church and are said to have placed a stone or stones pointing in the direction they were traveling so that her spirit might follow them. If the ghost stories told by young and old alike are true, the little girl did not follow her family. Numerous reports exist of seeing a young girl in or near the cemetery looking to the west and crying for the family who left her behind. One legend, popular once among paranormal and UFO enthusiasts, is a part of what many have referred to as “The Shaver Mystery.” In the 1940s, Richard Sharpe Shaver wrote a letter to a pulp magazine outlining a fantastic civilization peopled with an ancient race that Shaver had discovered under the Earth’s surface. Although considered a hoax by most of society, the stories Shaver wrote following the letter convinced many that, indeed, he had found such a place. Entrances to the location included the Blowing Cave at Cushman. Stories abound of expeditions into the cave, a once very popular party spot in the 1930s for locals, and of encounters with a blue-skinned race as recently as the 1960s. Although no hard evidence has surfaced, people still talk of Shaver’s world beneath Cushman. KELLER’S CHAPEL & CEMETERY (JONESBORO) The earliest recorded burial was in 1859 when J.W. Kelly passed and was buried here. A large part of the cemetery is dedicated to those who lost their lives in past wars as well as those of children. Researchers and visitors to the cemetery report hearing the disembodied voices of children crying, violent sounds emanating from the chapel and a large number of animal carcasses that have been placed on wooden crosses all around the grounds for a number of years. A phantom red light has been seen hovering through the trees and legend has it if you drive to the front gate and turn your engine off a mysterious force will prevent it from starting, leaving you stranded there for hours. KING OPERA HOUSE (VAN BUREN) Gracing Main Street for well over a hundred years, the beautifully-restored King Opera House sets the stage with its vibrant theatrical offerings and whispers the presence of a once earnest and intrepid actor, now haunting the backstage and still looking for work. The building first opened in the late 19th century in the peak of the Victorian Era.  It’s during that time the King Opera House gained its ghostly origins. The legend goes that a young actor who was part of a theater troupe was performing at the King Opera House.  While in Van Buren he fell in love with the young daughter of the town doctor.  It was a relationship the young girl's father would not approve of.  The two planned to runaway together and went to the Van Buren Train Depot in hopes of fleeing the town. When the town doctor found out he became furious and took off in a horse and buggy for the train depot where it's said he whipped the young actor to death. Today, the tale has emerged into a legend surrounding Van Buren's King Opera House.  Many former directors of the facility say the ghost of the young man wandered to the old theater where he remains today. Several former employees who have worked at the King Opera House say when they are alone they often feel like there's someone in the room with them.  A former director with the Young Actors Guild, which in the past regularly performed at the King Opera House also said she once turned off the lights only to discover every light in the theater had turned on by itself the following morning.  Others actually say they've seen the ghost of the young actor in person. The ghost is said to materialize, dressed in a top hat and victorian style coat with a long cape, still longing to be with the young girl he fell in love with all those years ago. LIBERTY BAPTISTS CHURCH (BATESVILLE) During the summer months the ghost of an old woman can be seen sitting in a rocking chair, upstairs, through the window. The gravel road leading up to the front of the church is haunted by a young woman who was killed in the early 1900s. The lights in the church are known to turn on and off on their own but it’s unsure if this is connected to any existing paranormal activity. In the cemetery there are strange lights that are seen at night which may be connected to eports of a little boy who wonders around the cemetery. He has been captured in multiple photographs taken there. MARK’S MILL (WARREN) In April,1864, two Civil War skirmishes occurred here, and over one thousand soldiers lost their lives. The first battle started with a Union ambush of a train loaded with Confederate gold. A confederate soldier blinded by an artillery shell managed to set fire to the wagon carrying the gold. He died later in a hospital, not knowing whether the treasure was safe from Yankee hands. It is said his ghost still roams the area searching for the gold and does not take kindly to outsiders looking for the supposedly 'lost gold'.After another engagement near here, Yankee soldiers hastily covered their losses by throwing the bodies of their fallen comrades down a well at Mark's Mill. Sometimes, the plaintive moaning of the soldiers spirits can be heard, pleading for a proper burial. MCCOLLOUM - CHIDESTER HOUSE (CAMDEN) Currently serving as a museum and the home of the Ouachita County Historical Society, the McCollum-Chidester House has interesting ties to the Civil War. John Chidester, mailman and stagecoach operator was accused of spying for the Confederacy while Union General Fredrick Steele commandeered the house for five days during the battle at Poison Spring. Bullet holes can still be seen in a wall upstairs where Union soldiers fired at random, seeking Chidester. A voice saying “GET OUT” was reported by a team of investigators visiting this room. In another room, a photo of a mirror revealed a man in a three-piece suit standing behind the photographer, even though no one but the photographer was present. MONROE COUNTY COURTHOUSE (CLARENDON) It seems that in 1893, an actor named John Orr and his wife settled in Clarendon. They lived in a house that had a number of black caretakers living on the property. John Orr was very abusive to his wife and four of the caretakers conspired with Mabel Orr to kill her husband, first by “hoodoo” and when that didn’t work, by shooting him. Orr did die of a gunshot wound and Mabel and four of the caretakers were arrested. The four caretakers were lynched in the courthouse yard, but the Sheriff allowed Mabel to take a fatal dose of morphine to avoid public humiliation. Today, people hear Mabel crying in the basement still, and strange lights are often seen leading to the levee where the four bodies were carried on the way to the river to be buried on the other side. MOUNT HOLLY CEMETERY (LITTLE ROCK) Located at Broadway and 12th Streets in Little Rock, Mount Holly Cemetery is the final resting place for many notable Arkansans. Several reports of paranormal sightings in photographs taken at the property have been made, including apparitions of people dressed in period clothing and bright lights and mists. Some visitors have claimed that statues have been mysteriously relocated to the lawns of nearby houses. The sounds of a flute echo have also been heard, and trinkets and small items have been known to appear and disappear around the graves. NATURAL STEPS (ROLAND) A unique geological formation along the banks of the Arkansas River, Natural Steps is a small town with an unsettling history of buildings, structures and people disappearing. Days after a local couple’s wedding atop the Natural Steps, the groom perished from a sudden and mysterious illness. Overwhelmed with grief, the widow disappeared after the funeral – many believe by committing suicide by jumping off the Natural Steps. Residents and visitors alike have since reported seeing a woman in white strolling within the town. During the Civil War, Confederate forces are believed to have sunk their own gunboat containing vast sums of gold, in order to keep Union troops at bay. Three Confederate soldiers died during the explosion, and their graves can be found in the town’s cemetery. Legend has it on moonlit nights, the ghosts of the three soldiers march in a single-file line to the Arkansas River to uncover their hidden treasure. PEA RIDGE NATIONAL MILITARY PARK (GARFIELD) Musket fire in the middle of the night and ghostly soldiers, they’d seem out of the ordinary in some places, but at the site of The Battle of Pea Ridge, fought in 1852, they’re just a part of the landscape. Over 3,000 casualties were reported from this battle. The Pea Ridge Battlefield has remained the home of some spooky sights and sounds over the years that have put it on the watch list of several paranormal investigators. Some of the most common occurrences at the Pea Ridge Battlefield include visitors reporting hearing cannon and musket fire in the middle of the night.  Some who visit say they’ve even heard the voices of Confederate and Union civil war soldiers as well as drumming. Apparitions of soldiers have been seen, some going so far as to give directions to lost visitors who turn around only to see the helpful strangers have vanished. Other guests to the facility have reported feeling like they’re being followed. One group of paranormal investigators claims they acquired an audio recording of marching drums and field commands. The questions surrounding the Pea Ridge Battleground are what have given it a unique spot and title as one of the key locations haunting Arkansas. PEEL MANSION MUSEUM (BENTONVILLE) A Confederate colonel and pioneer lawyer who went on to serve as the first native-born Arkansan elected to the U.S. Congress, Samuel West Peel was already something of a legend by 1875 when he built a magnificent, 14-room Italianate mansion on the outskirts of Bentonville for his wife, Mary Emaline Berry Peel. Peel named the home “The Oaks” after the many massive trees surrounding the house, and the couple would eventually raise nine children there before Peel’s death in December 1924 at the age of 93. Today, Peel Mansion is a museum with period-correct antiques and furnishings, surrounded by an equally magnificent Victorian garden full of historic roses and Arkansas-native plants. Peel and some members of his family apparently loved the house so much they don’t want to leave. It’s said that the ghosts of both Colonel Peel and his daughter, Minnie Belle, haunt the house, with the staff reporting the sounds of a piano playing softly in the parlor even though there’s no one in the room, glimpses of a woman in white, an upstairs bedroom where a girl can sometimes be heard faintly crying, and visitors being pinched by unseen fingers while touring the second floor. ST. FRANCIS COUNTY MUSEUM (FORREST CITY) The St. Francis County Museum in Forrest City began life as a family home. In 1906, Dr. J.O. Rush built a lovely house for his family, strategically located near the railroad tracks. Rush served as the physician and surgeon for the railroads. Day and night, the home was filled with the maimed and injured, especially those involved in railroading accidents. In the decades to come, many would claim seeing strange movement through the darkened windows. Some local residents claimed that those who were brought to Dr. Rush’s office for medical attention haunted the house. After Dr. Rush’s death in 1961, the house stayed in the family until 1995. Over the years, the stories of bizarre occurrences and shadowy figures in the windows continued to flourish. After extensive renovation, the Rush-Gates House opened in 1998 as the home of the St. Francis County Museum. Virtually every staff member has had incidents happen that are “unexplainable.” SHADY GROVE CEMETERY (BALD KNOB) There are several reports on this cemetery. One is that grasshoppers and crickets are completely absent within the boundaries of the graveyard. When you pull up in your car, flash your headlights three times. Ghost children will put their tiny little hand prints on your car. There have been many reports of disembodied voices, especially on Halloween. A young man told a story of going to Shady Grove Cemetery late at night with some friends. They started walking and the further into the graveyard they got the colder the air became. He heard a little girl’s voice say, “You need to get out before he knows you’re here.” The boys got back in their truck, but it wouldn’t start. The windows started fogging up and then they saw writing in the condensation: “Please get out”. He tried to start the truck again and still nothing. His friend got out and looked under the hood. The battery cables were disconnected. He hooked them back up and then the truck started. They started back out the driveway and a little girl was standing in the middle of the road. She was only there a moment and then she disappeared. THE OLD ARSENAL (LITTLE ROCK) In the year that Arkansas became a state, in 1836, it became necessary to build a military installation on this 36 acre lot to guard the populace from angry Indian attacks. Soldiers and officers’ barracks, an armory and support structures, resulting in more than 30 buildings being constructed on this military post. In 1840, this well-built Arsenal Building was constructed to store munitions for the post. In May of 1861, Arkansas joined the Confederate states and fought for the South. Arkansas troops took over the post, after a peaceful negotiation, and agreed compromise. Arkansas Confederate troops used this Arsenal Tower Building to repair their small arms and make gunpowder. Disembodied voices, talking, music have been heard by the living who work in the building and who visit the displays. In 1996, an employee was sitting in her office in the basement, when she heard the sounds of music, laughter and talking coming from the room above her, which was the largest room on the east side of the ground floor. She went up to see, and saw and heard nothing. when she returned to her office, the same sounds were present. The second floor of the tower was turned into a theater. While closing up an employee saw a solid body of a man, dressed in a dark uniform, lying across the chairs. She ran down to get another person to help what she thought was a transient to get out of the building. When the second person tried to touch the body, which had turned around, it melted into the air, probably encouraging a hasty retreat! On occasion, see-through apparitions have been observed walking down the staircase to the ground floor, going about their business. A playful entity, perhaps that of David, likes to throw things at people, just missing them, during late afternoon, or stormy winter days. The unsuspecting person walks down the right hand staircase from the third floor to the second. If this person stops immediately looks over a shoulder, he or she will see a shadow of an object fly by, as if an unseen presence at the top of the stairs is throwing something for chuckles, enjoying the reactions of people. Shadow people, and unexplained shadows on the wall have been noticed by many as well. Two shadow people have been seen in the area under the grand staircase in the basement, still reliving their duel. TOLTEC MOUNDS (SCOTT) Known to some as the “Stonehenge of Arkansas,” the mounds and earthen embankments present at Toltec Mounds Archeological State Park are remnants of the Plum Bayou culture – not the Mexican Toltec or Aztec tribes as the name suggests. The Plum Bayou people built 18 mounds to serve as a ceremonial, religious, governmental and social complex with at least one serving as a burial mound. Archeological digs at the site have uncovered items that cannot be traced to other Native American cultures, and also have suggested that the Plum Bayou people simply disappeared – with no trace of where they went or why they left. Visitors to the present-day park have claimed to see lights, orbs, and even ghostly apparitions of ancient people. At night, footsteps have been heard around the existing mound site. BACK TO PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE      
TWITTER