KECKSBURG UFO INCIDENT On the evening of December 9, 1965, a large, brilliant fireball was seen by thousands in at least six U.S. states and Ontario, Canada. It streaked over the Detroit, Michigan – Windsor, Canada area. Reports of hot metal debris over Michigan and northern Ohio, grass fires and sonic booms in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area were attributed to the fireball. According to an initial story in the Greensburg Tribune-Review: "The area where the object landed was immediately sealed off on the order of U.S. Army and State Police officials, reportedly in anticipation of a 'close inspection' of whatever may have fallen ... State Police officials there ordered the area roped off to await the expected arrival of both U.S. Army engineers and possibly, civilian scientists." However, eyewitnesses in the small village of Kecksburg, about 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, claimed something crashed in the woods. A boy said he saw the object land; his mother saw a wisp of blue smoke arising from the woods and alerted authorities. Another reported feeling a vibration and "a thump" about the time the object reportedly landed. Others from Kecksburg, including local volunteer fire department members, reported finding an object in the shape of an acorn and about as large as a Volkswagen Beetle. Writing resembling Egyptian hieroglyphics was also said to be in a band around the base of the object. Witnesses further reported that intense military presence, most notably the United States Army, secured the area, ordered civilians out, and then removed the object on a flatbed truck. At the time, however, the military claimed they searched the woods and found "absolutely nothing". A subsequent edition in the Tribune-Review bore the headline "Searchers Fail To Find Object". “Authorities discounted proposed explanations such as a plane crash, errant missile test, or reentering satellite debris and generally assumed it to be a meteor. Astronomer Paul Annear said the fireball was likely a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere. Geophysicist George Wetherilo discounted speculations that it was debris from a satellite and agreed the reports were probably due to a meteor. Astronomers William P. Bidelman and Fred Hess said it undoubtedly was a meteor bolide. A spokesman for the Defense Department in Washington said first reports indicated the reported fireball was a natural phenomenon.” The official explanation of the widely seen fireball was that it was a mid-sized meteor. However speculation as to the identity of the Kecksburg object (if there was one — reports vary) also range from it being an alien craft to debris from Kosmos 96, a Soviet Space Probe Intended for Venus but never left the atmosphere. Similarities have been drawn between the Kecksburg incident and the Roswell UFO incident, leading to the former being referred to as "Pennsylvania's Roswell." Several articles were written about the fireball in science journals. The February 1966 issue of Sky & Telescope reported that the fireball was seen over the Detroit-Windsor area at about 4:44 p.m. EST. The Federal Aviation Administration had received 23 reports from aircraft pilots, the first starting at 4:44 p.m. A seismograph 25 miles southwest of Detroit had recorded the shock waves created by the fireball as it passed through the atmosphere. The Sky and Telescope article concluded that "the path of the fireball extended roughly from northwest to southeast" and ended "in or near the western part of Lake Erie". A 1967 article by two astronomers in the Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (JRASC) used the seismographic record to pinpoint the time of passage over the Detroit area to 4:43 p.m. In addition, they used photographs of the trail taken north of Detroit at two different locations to triangulate the trajectory of the object. They concluded that the fireball was descending at a steep angle, moving from the southwest to the northeast, and likely impacted on the northwestern shore of Lake Erie near Windsor, Ontario. The JRASC trajectory was at nearly right angles to that proposed earlier by Sky and Telescope, or a trajectory that would have taken the fireball in the direction of western Pennsylvania and Kecksburg. Thus, if the calculation was correct, this would rule out the fireball being involved in any way with what may or may not have happened in Kecksburg. The JRASC article is often cited by skeptics to debunk the notion of a UFO crash at Kecksburg. However, the JRASC article has been criticized as lacking any error analysis. Since the triangulation base used by the astronomers in their calculations was very narrow, even very small errors in determination of directions could result in a very different triangulated trajectory. Measurement errors of slightly more than one-half degree would make possible a straight-line trajectory towards the Kecksburg area and a much shallower angle of descent than reported in the JRASC article. It was also pointed out that the photos used actually show the fireball trail becoming progressively thinner, suggesting motion away from the cameras, or in the direction of Pennsylvania. Had the trajectory been sideways to the cameras, as contended in the JRASC article, the trail would likely have remained roughly constant in thickness. There had been some speculation (e.g. NASA's James Oberg) that the object in the Kecksburg Incident may have been debris from Kosmos 96, a Soviet satellite. Kosmos 96 had a bell- or acorn- like shape similar to the object reported by eyewitnesses (though much smaller than witnesses reported). However, in a 1991 report, US Space Command concluded that Kosmos 96 crashed in Canada at 3.18am on December 9, 1965, about 13 hours before the fireball thought to be the Kecksburg object undergoing re-entry was recorded at 4:45pm. In addition, in a 2003 interview Chief Scientist for Orbital Debris at the NASA Johnson Space Center Nicholas L. Johnson stated: I can tell you categorically, that there is no way that any debris from Kosmos 96 could have landed in Pennsylvania anywhere around 4:45 p.m.[...] That’s an absolute. Orbital mechanics is very strict. POINT JERVIS INCIDENT A man from New York had a Close Encounter with the paranormal that he will never forget, and his new 4-door sedan can prove it.  Fortunately, he contacted investigators at the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) who were able to get to the scene quickly to discover and document the shocking evidence. On his short drive home from work in the Port Jervis area in Orange County, just after midnight on November 25th 2009, Smith was singing along with Christmas carols on the radio as he negotiated the winding wooded roads. Smith turned the corner and suddenly noticed some strange lights in the sky.  He described to the investigators a cigar shaped object with five lights across it.  The lights were blue, white, red, white and then blue again.  The object was moving slowly and turning clockwise. He had slowed down and stopped to get a better look. The man described the object as being rather large, estimating it to be 200 feet in length.  When asked the relative size to an aspirin at arm’s length, he described that it would have been the size of a baseball.  The lights were very intense, but he didn’t notice them reflecting on the ground.  The color of the craft appeared to be gun metal gray. As he watched, it continued to slowly move towards him at the speed of a hot air balloon.  He told investigators that it made a sound similar to a “purring cat”. Realizing that it was not an airplane or anything else he could think of, he got a little startled.  However, as the object passed directly over him, his car died. He tried to open the electric windows to look at the object, but they would not work either. Getting very worried now, he attempted to use his cell phone, which was also not working. Not knowing whether to run or stay put, the man opened his car door, still buckled in.  He looked up at the object, saw the lights on the object turn off, and his car was suddenly running again.  He was not sure if the object flew away, or if the lights on the object just turned off.  Terrified at this point, he didn’t stay to investigate. Instead he took off wanting to get home as quickly as possible. Running stop signs and almost crashing into a fence, he thought to himself, “no way I’m going to take that road again.” Not knowing what to do when he got home, his wife suggested that he call the police. He didn’t feel that the police would be interested in his experience, so he searched the Internet for a UFO reporting center and came across MUFON. The MUFON dispatcher, who took the call noted that he sounded terrified. He explained the event as being “the most unnerving thing to happen to me.” The most interesting evidence supporting the witness’s claims came from electro-static and electro- magnetic testing. Using a tri-field meter near the vehicle, a 2009 4-door sedan, the meter maxed out, indicating a very strong magnetic field. In order to test a control vehicle, the STAR team investigators where able to find a similar vehicle, the same make and model, at a car dealership.  Since it was a late model car, the dealer had another one that was verified to have been made on the same day as Smith’s vehicle. The test vehicle did not register any significant electro-static or electro-magnetic fields. To further test the vehicle, the investigator’s grounded the vehicle. However, there was no measured reduction in the intensity of the fields. In a follow-up investigation 20 days later, the fields were still present, but had dissipated by approximately 60%. Investigators also used a compass to measure the magnetic fields with interesting results. The fields did affect the compass and was stronger towards the front of the vehicle. During the second visit, the compass was able to show that as the fields dissipated, they remained strongest at the front of the vehicle. Smith noted that he had a toothache for some days after the event, although he is unsure if it is related. He also believes his car drives faster after the event. However, investigators note that this may be a result of the engine getting broken in. Otherwise, there have been no other noted effects. Investigators asked the man if he experienced any missing time who said he had not. In some close encounters, such as this one, missing time is reported. This is when a sighting such as this occurs, and the witness arrives at their destination noticing that it took them much longer than it should have, sometimes even hours longer. They often are at a loss as to where this time went. SHAG HARBOR INCIDENT On the night of October 4, 1967, en route to Toronto while flying over Sherbrooke and Saint-Jean, Quebec at 3658 m, from the Halifax International airport, Air Canada Capt. Pierre Charbonneau on Flight 305 pointed out to co-pilot Bob Ralphington that there was something strange out the left side of the aircraft at 7:15PM. In his report the captain reported an object tracking along on a parallel course a few miles away. He describes it as a brilliantly lit, rectangular object with a string of smaller lights trailing the object. At 7:19, the pilots noticed a sizable silent explosion near the large object; two minutes later, a second explosion occurred which faded to a blue cloud around the object. Darrel Dorey, his sister Annette, and his mother were sitting on their front porch in Mahone Bay, when they noticed a large object maneuvering above the southwestern horizon. The next day Darrell wrote a letter to RCAF Greenwood Base Commander asking what was flying over the water that evening, as he had never seen anything like it. While standing at the wheelhouse of his vessel, Capt. Leo Howard "No Mercy" Mersey was looking at four blips on his Decca radar that were stationary. When he looked up about 17 miles from the vessel's windows he could see the four bright objects situated in a roughly rectangular formation. The entire crew of nearly twenty fishermen stood on deck and watched the object in the northeastern sky. Mersey radioed the rescue coordination center and the harbor master in Halifax asking for an explanation, and filed a report with the Lunenburg RCMP outlining his sighting when they arrived in port. The Chronicle-Herald and local radio stations reported a glowing object that had been seen by many people who had called their newsroom. They reported witnessing strange glowing objects flying around Halifax at around 10:00 PM. At about 11:20 p.m. Atlantic Daylight Time, it was reported that something had crashed into the waters of Shag Harbor. At least eleven people saw a low-flying lighted object head towards the harbor. Multiple witnesses reported hearing a whistling sound "like a bomb," then a "whoosh," and finally a loud bang. The object was never officially identified, and was therefore referred to as an unidentified flying object (UFO) in Government of Canada documents. The Canadian military became involved in a subsequent rescue/recovery effort. The initial report was made by local resident Laurie Wickens and four of his friends. Driving through Shag Harbor, on Highway 3, they spotted a large object descending into the waters. Attaining a better vantage point, Wickens and his friends saw an object floating 820 to 980 ft offshore in the waters of the harbor. Wickens contacted the RCMP detachment in Barrington Passage and reported he had seen a large airplane or small airliner crash into the waters. Assuming an aircraft had crashed, within about 15 minutes, 2 RCMP officers arrived at the scene. Concerned for survivors, the RCMP detachment contacted the Rescue Coordination Center (RCC) in Halifax to advise them of the situation, and to ask if any aircraft were missing. Before any attempt at rescue could be made, the object started to sink and disappeared from view. A rescue mission was quickly organized. Within half an hour of the crash, local fishing boats went out to the crash site in the waters of the Gulf of Maine off Shag Harbor to look for survivors. No survivors, bodies or debris were found, either by the fishermen or by a Canadian Coast Guard search and rescue cutter, which arrived about an hour later from nearby Clark's Harbor. By the next morning, RCC Halifax had determined that no aircraft were missing. While still tasked with the search, the captain of the Canadian Coast Guard cutter received a radio message from RCC Halifax that all commercial, private and military aircraft were accounted for along the eastern seaboard, in both Atlantic provinces and New England. The same morning, RCC Halifax also sent a priority telex to the "Air Desk" at air force headquarters in Ottawa, which handled all civilian and military UFO sightings, informing them of the crash and that all conventional explanations such as aircraft, flares, etc. had been dismissed. Therefore, this was labeled a "UFO Report." The head of the Air Desk then sent another priority telex to the navy headquarters concerning the "UFO Report" and recommended an underwater search be mounted. The navy, in turn, sent another priority telex tasking Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic with carrying out the search. Two days after the incident had been observed, a detachment of navy divers from Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic was assembled and for the next three days they combed the sea floor of the Gulf of Maine off Shag Harbor looking for an object. The final report said no trace of one was found. ROSEDALE UFO ENCOUNTER In the early hours of 30th September 1980, a little after 1 am at the White-Acres property near Rosedale, Victoria, Australia, the 54-year-old caretaker of the site was woken suddenly by a sound like “a screeching whistle” coming from outside the house. The cattle were also seemingly significantly spooked at whatever was happening, their bellowing constant in the background. Without dressing and wearing only his night clothes, he went to the back door to examine the cause of the commotion. He stepped outside and onto a wooden rail that ran immediately outside the house so as to get a clear view of the farm’s fields and outbuildings. It was then that the strange “domed disc-shaped craft”, flashing orange and blue lights, went across his field of vision from left to right. It was only ten feet from the ground and appeared to be no more than 500 feet away from him. He would estimate it to be around 25 feet in length. He continued to watch as the object moved over the land, passing between the outbuildings and trees as it did so. As he watched he would note that although the object was brightly lit underneath and “gave out light at its own height” it didn’t light up the ground below it. It then passed over the paddocks before coming to a stop hovering over a concrete 10,000-gallon water tank. It remained there for around a minute before descending towards the ground and coming to a stop. The caretaker quickly ran inside the house and quickly dressed. Then, he got on his Suzuki 100 motorbike, fired up the engine, and headed out across the fields. Despite the surreal nature of the events unfolding around him, in his mind, he would cling to the idea that this strange aerial display was the work of cattle rustlers. There had, as it happened, been several cases of cattle rustling in the area over the previous months. When he stepped off his bike momentarily to open one of the field gates, though, he would see one of the farm’s cattle close up. Not only was fear palpable in its eyes and demeanor, it was “frothing at the mouth” and quite obviously looked to take cover or hide. He jumped back on the bike and progressed through the field. Several moments later, he came to the paddock where the strange object had seemingly come down to the ground. He continued on, eventually coming to no more than 50 yards of the object when he brought his bike to a stop. He noticed a strange sensation run through his body. Whether it was his body’s own response to the bizarre situation or something more directly connected to the strange craft, his entire body was “like a jelly on a plate”. The whistling noise still screeched into the night air, now much louder due to his closer proximity. He would remain sat on his motionless bike, his hands covering his ears such was the uncomfortable volume of it. He would take in as much detail as he could. The top half of the craft consisted of a white dome, while the bottom half was a distinct orange color. In this bottom section, he could make out “circular windows or lights”. Then, the noise suddenly morphed into “an awful scream” and an ominous black tube emerged from the bottom section of the craft. As the tube continued outwards, a sudden “bang” rang out followed by an immediate rush of hot air so powerful the caretaker almost lost his balance. As this was happening, the object was now rising from its position and heading slowly to the east. It moved upwards and he could see the connection of the black tube to the underside of the craft at the center. When it was at a height of around ten feet once again, and around thirty feet away from its position on the ground, it would suddenly go silent. The tube was no longer there. And it looked as though various objects were falling to the ground. He realized these objects were stones, cape weed and various other items that would have been in the area where the object landed. Starting the bike’s engine, he rode over to the area the object had sat. Even with only the moon as a source of light, he could see a clear “ring of black” on the ground. He looked upwards and watched as the objected continued to move to the east, eventually disappearing into the night sky. Confused, exhilarated, and awestruck at the same time, he turned his bike around and returned to the main house. When he arrived, he noticed the time was 1:50 am. As he made himself a cup of coffee, preparing to contemplate the evening’s events, he noticed the time on his wristwatch. It showed 1:10. It had stopped at the time he was within the vicinity of the UFO. He took it off and reset it to the correct time and placed it back on his wrist. Ten minutes later, it had stopped again. This would continue for several days until the watch finally returned to normal working order. He would return to bed, fully dressed, but had little sleep. By 5 am he went back outside and out to the paddock where the encounter had taken place. The black ring was still very visible. He also could see how the grass was pressed flat and tight to the ground in an anticlockwise direction. Any flowers that were previously in this spot had all gone. Within the ring, he also noticed six “spoke marks”. These matched the several spokes he recalled seeing on the underside of the craft when it rose into the air. He then walked along the direction the UFO had taken. He could see much of the “debris” that had fallen from the craft as it left. It seemed clear to the caretaker that the long tube appeared to be some kind of suction device. And furthermore, it then sent crashing back to the ground what it had taken but didn’t want. With that in mind, it was perhaps no surprise, then, when the caretaker discovered later that morning that the entire contents of the water tank – all 10,000 gallons – was gone. It would normally take three full days to fully drain the contents. This object managed to do so in less than an hour. Also interesting, was the discovery of algae at the sides of the tank and on the “roof”. Almost as if the separation of impurities occurred before leaving the tank. The owner of the property would arrive on site at around 9 am. He would report the incident to the “Gippsland Times” newspaper immediately. They would ultimately run a front-page story in their 1st October 1980 edition. Incidentally, while examining the site that morning, a truck driver walked over from his vehicle to speak with the caretaker. He claimed he had pulled over at the side of the road at just after 1 am to rest. He also claimed that a strange object had followed him for some time, eventually stopping over his field. AMARANTE UFO INCIDENT At around 12 noon on October 21, 1982, cell biologist, “Mr. Henri” was in his garden in the small town of Laxou near Nancy in northeast France. The sky above was clear of clouds and a perfect blue in the glow of the early afternoon sun. However, the serenity of the moment was shattered when a “flying machine” came out of the sky, its structure shining brightly in the sun (although not hampering his vision) and seemingly arriving in his location out of nowhere. Although the object had taken him by surprise, the speed was relatively calm as it continued to descend. Thinking it would pass over him, Mr. Henri eventually backed away slightly as the object appeared to head straight towards him. Then, it stopped, hovering around 4 feet above the ground. From this angle, he could see clearly the oval, disc-like shape of the metallic craft. He would later describe the craft as having a “metallic appearance” similar to polished Beryllium. The upper half appeared to have a strange blue-green color to it. As he stood staring at the hovering oval object, he noted how it remained completely silent. Furthermore, he couldn’t feel any excess heat or any apparent effects of radiation. The craft would remain in place for around 20 minutes in total. During the time that the object was stationary over the garden, Mr. Henri himself was rather active below. As the report notes, he would “make a great number of trips” to the object and back again. All the while taking in as much detail from the craft as it resided there in midair. For example, after standing in the middle of his garden as the object approached, Henri would then back away against the wall of his kitchen (fearing a crash landing was imminent). After remaining there for several minutes, Henri then ventures back towards the object. Furthermore, and also of interest, is the insistence of the witness that the craft – at least the top “blue-green” section was “not homogeneous” and gave the impression of a “translucent volume”. He would elaborate that it was not quite vapor and had a “plexiglass” look to it. And what’s more, the colors and activity inside appeared to be something “very special” and unknown. During this time, Mr. Henri would locate his camera and attempt to take a picture. However, the device, already showing signs of wear and tear, would jam. As he walked around various points of the object’s underside, he would watch intently, studying the craft as closely as he could. Interestingly, he would describe it in almost identically a way as several other up-close witnesses as “two lids on (top of) one another”. Essentially, a flying saucer or a disc. Then, out of nowhere, the craft would rise into the air and continue upwards in a direct straight line until it was out of sight. One thing Mr. Henri would notice when the object took off was that grass directly underneath it – and only this particular patch of grass – would stand on end for several seconds before returning to its normal position. Furthermore, no other plant or flower appeared to move at all, which would suggest the movement of the grass was not some coincidentally timed blast of wind, but something directly connected to the object above. What’s more, when investigators would attempt to recreate this in laboratory conditions, they would discover that “very intense electric fields” were successful in achieving this. Mr. Henri remained home until 5 pm when his wife arrived back from work. After telling her of the sighting, the pair drove the short distance to the police building to report the incident. While the police would treat their report seriously, it was perhaps the presence of plants and ample vegetation in the garden that would cause them to take samples away for investigation. Indeed, these samples would most prominently be of Amaranths flowers. It was noted upon arrival how private the garden of the Henri’s was. It was, as Mr. Henri had insisted, perfectly feasible that he was the lone witness to the strange craft simply due to how the garden was seemingly walled off on all sides, either by trees, fencing, or the walls of other buildings. Even to access the garden, according to the police report, one must “take a very narrow path of 80 cm wide (and) about 30 meters long” from the main street. The garden itself was only very small – around 30 square feet – although it contained an abundance of plants and flowers. These would include evergreen shrubs, wallflowers, lavender, and of course, most important in this particular case, amaranths. Samples would be taken, and any possible effects studied. It would appear the analysis of the flowers of Amarante plants in the garden were perhaps most telling.  These flowers appeared to be completely dehydrated – almost purposely. Furthermore, some of the fruit in the immediate vicinity of where the craft hovered had completely cooked. What’s more, the roots of the affected plants were still very much as one would expect to find in a healthy plant or flower. It would appear, then, that the dehydration process – whatever it was that had caused – took place at the midair level only. All of these things would again suggest exposure to some type of electromagnetic wave of energy. And as the witness freely walked under and around the object as it hovered, stating that he felt no heat or cold from it while doing so, it would appear to be the case that any damage suffered by the plants, fruit, and flowers, happened as the craft shot directly upwards. Propelled, it would appear, by some type of blast of electromagnetic energy.
previous previous next next