THE TULLY SAUCER NEST At about 9 am, on January 19th, 1966, George Pedley was driving a tractor heading south along a narrow track on Albert Pennisi's sugar cane farm in Tully, Australia. The weather that morning was calm, with the sun shining at approximately 30 to 40 degrees east. When he was approximately 25 yards from Horseshoe Lagoon, Pedley heard above the noise of the tractor, a loud hissing sound, "like air escaping from a tire." "The tractor tires seemed O.K. to me, so I drove on," Pedley said. "Suddenly, an object rose out of the swamp. When I glanced at it, it was already 30 feet above the ground, and at about tree-top level. It was a large, gray, saucer-shaped object, convex on the top and bottom and measured some 25 feet across and 9 feet high. While I watched, it rose another 30 feet, spinning very fast, then it made a shallow dive and took off with tremendous speed. Climbing at an angle of 45 degrees it disappeared within seconds in a south-westerly direction ...". He added, "I saw no portholes or antennas, and there was no sign of life either in or about the ship." When Pedley drove around the bend of the track to the lagoon, there, at the spot beneath where the object had risen, was a huge, round cleared area in the swamp grass. The water in this circular area was slowly rotating and appeared to be completely cleared of reeds. With this evidence of what he had observed, Pedley concluded, "I have really seen something!" He had passed the same spot some three hours earlier, as close as 12 feet, and had not seen anything unusual. Within a few minutes he returned to his tractor which he found he had to restart. He had noted just immediately prior to hearing the hissing sound a sound like a misfire in the tractor motor. He was sure it had not stopped. As with most farmers it was not his habit to switch off the tractor motor until finished with it. Later in the day, apparently about noon, George returned along the track and stopped for another inspection. The cleared area of the lagoon surface was no longer visible. What was clearly evident was a floating mass of reeds, approximately 30 feet in diameter, that had apparently come to the surface of the lagoon during the time Pedley was absent. The floating mass of reeds and grass was noticeably distributed in a radial pattern, in a clear clockwise manner. Pedley was certain the reeds were quite green in this mass, as they were in all the surrounding reeds in the lagoon. Unable to keep this experience to himself, by about mid-afternoon George Pedley had told a friend, and also Albert Pennisi, the property owner. He led them both to the spot where the extraordinary evidence lay. Both were astounded. Neither had ever seen anything like this before, despite being experienced bushmen. Pennisi "knew" his lagoon and a circular effect like this was totally unprecedented in his experience. Pennisi and Pedley waded out to the floating mass and found that it was possible to swim from either side under the mass. The water was clear of any obstructions and the lagoon floor beneath it was smooth and clear of any roots. Pedley and Pennisi were most struck by a particular feature of the surface of the floating reed bed - what seemed to be a clear "print" or impression of the UFO. The outer perimeter of the floating mass was thrust down markedly as if indented by a massive inverted saucer shape, with a circular centre about 6 to 8 feet in diameter. Pennisi rushed to his house and returned with a camera to take a series of photos. By then the upper surfaces of the reeds on top of the "nest" had turned brown. The underside of the reeds remained green. This browning had occurred by late afternoon, some 8 hours after the sighting by Pedley. Pedley reported his experience to Tully Police at 7.30 pm, on January 19th. At 7 am, January 20th George Pedley and Sgt. A.V. Moylan went to the site of the incident. Sgt. Moylan then contacted Townsville RAAF Base by telephone, on the morning of January 20th. Flt. Lt. Wallace advised Sgt. Moylan that he would forward a proforma questionnaire for completion by George Pedley. On Friday, January 21st, Flt. Lt. Wallace confirmed dispatch of two copies of the sighting proforma by mail that same day and also requested Sgt. Moylan obtain "a sample of the grass from the scorched area." At 3.30 pm, on the same day, Moylan returned to the site and took a sample "of the grass from the depression in the swamp grass at the site." The proforma was filled out by Moylan based on his interviews with George Pedley and was dated 1/26/66. Sgt. Moylan dispatched the report and the sample on 1/26/66. BURKE’S FLAT UFO INCIDENT At about 8:00 p.m., Ron Sullivan, was traveling on a straight sealed section of the Dunolly-St.Arnaud road, near Burkes Flat, in central country Victoria. Ahead in a pasture off to his right, Sullivan observed an unusual light. He first took it to be a tractor, engaged in night plowing, but as he drew closer, Sullivan began to see a most unusual light display, located at ground level. He was paying attention to both the light display in the pasture on his right and the road when he observed the following sequence of light display in the strange phenomenon in the pasture. Initially, as he approached, Sullivan saw a white phosphorous type of light on the ground that appeared to be about 15' in diameter. It opened up and there was another white oval on top of it, about 30' in height, coming down making the shape of a cone, with a 15' bottom diameter and 20' top diameter. And in that cone were tubes of colored lights, all the lights as you see as you look through the spectrum, all the colors of the rainbow red, blue, indigo & purple. Traveling up and down, or they seem to be, from the small oval to the bigger oval at the top. They were going up and down in shafts. Then gradually the top seemed to come to meet the bottom, They seemed to close in, making a transition of one light oval, similar to first view, everything then just disappeared. The last thing Sullivan saw of the light display was just a spot on the ground, a light spot, become smaller and smaller, to nothing. Meanwhile, as he was driving, he observed that his car headlight beams suddenly appeared to be pointing in a direction off to the right in the direction of the strange light display and also seemed to be, bending back on an axis with the object in the pasture. As he got closer, the angle of bending of his cars headlight beams became more acute. He thought his car must have been heading off the road to the right, and immediately compensated by turning it to the left. He found he was now heading directly towards a tree on the left hand side of the road. He turned the car to the right to regain the direction of travel along the straight section of road, thoroughly confused and leaving behind the display in the pasture. He had his car lights checked and found them to be working properly. Later in Maryborough he found that a young man from Carnegie, Gary Taylor, was killed in a car accident at Burkes Flat on the night of April 6th, two nights later. Sullivan reported his experience to police. At the accident site, it was determined that Taylor’s car had collided with the same tree that Sullivan almost collided with 2 nights earlier. Directly opposite the tree in the pasture, about 70 yards from the roadway, coincident with where Sullivan saw the strange light display, a shallow depression was found in the plowed earth. It was a little over 3' in diameter and only a few inches in depth. The depression was cleanly scooped out of the sandy soil with no apparent debris around it. There were no human or animal tracks around the area. The property owner indicated the depression had not been there when he had finished plowing. There appeared to be no explanation for the depression or the light display. LANGENBERG, SASKATCHEWAN UFO SIGHTING On Sunday September 1, 1974, farmer Edwin Fuhr spotted a metallic, dome-shaped UFO hovering just above the ground in one of his fields. Around 10:30 a.m. then 36-year-old was swathing his fields when he saw five saucer-shaped objects on the edge of a slough. Thinking that someone was playing a joke on him, Fuhr got off of his swather for a closer look, but still kept at least 15 feet back. He says the saucers were hovering a foot off the ground and rotating at a high rate of speed. Fuhr stopped, backed up and got on his swather. It didn’t start. So, he sat there watching them hover, too scared to move. After 15 minutes the objects took off — emitting a grey vapour from underneath — and disappeared into the sky. They made no sound. The objects flew away so fast that they were gone "like that,” says Fuhr, clapping his hands. In due course they rose up and flew away, leaving rings of flattened grass where each had been. Two days later, following a night in which Fuhr's dogs were noisy, a sixth ring was found in formation with the others. The rings are all swirled clockwise, and are very close together, almost touching. The main set of five were estimated as between 10 and 12 feet in diameter, with the sixth somewhat smaller at around 6 feet. There was a good deal of media interest in this case, and in an effort to discredit the story, Dr Allen MacNamara of the National Research Council claimed the circles were made by fungus. This was disputed by J Allen Hynek as implausible. This case is of particular interest because the rings not only sat in formation, rather than being placed more-or-less randomly about the field, but also because of the revisitation by whatever caused them. Re-visitations are rare, and it will be noted that here, a sixth marking was created, which was also in formation with the pre-existing rings, as if by design. DANBURY, CT. SIGHTING David Athens, chief of the New Fairfield Fire Department, observed the UFO as he was talking with a police officer in a Danbury parking lot. These men, and other witnesses on the street, observed six or seven lights arranged in a circular pattern. When the bright lights which they were observing went off, they were able to detect a new group of red lights "underneath." At first, the object moved very slowly, then very rapidly. They observed two red lights seem to fall off of the object, and fly away in different directions. One of these lights never returned, but the other came back. By this time, a considerable crowd had gathered with the men watching the same phenomena take place. Apparently, this was the second time that Athens had had a UFO experience in this sighting-rich landscape. In March of 1984, he had witnessed a UFO at North Salem while he was with his girlfriend. Intrigued, he got out of his vehicle with his flashlight, and turned it on and off in the manner of a signal. The UFO flashed its lights on and off as a response. If he flashed his light three times, it would respond by flashing itself on and off three times. After a while, the UFO flew away. Athens was not the only fireman who saw the UFO on the night of July 12, 1984. Several Danbury firemen working to put out a fire around 10 PM said that the UFO passed over them and seemed to hover over the burning house as if observing the activity. At least twelve Danbury policemen also observed the UFO on that night. After it had departed, many low-flying aircraft were seen speeding towards the place where it had last been seen. Presumably, this was some sort of military investigation. LORING AIR BASE INCIDENT Incidents would begin shortly before 8 pm on the 27th October 1975, at Loring Air Force Base in Maine, when a strange, glowing object was observed hovering over the base. And more specifically, the area of the base where weapons were stored. If reports are to be believed, these weapons were housed under fake, camouflaged huts. That the object, if indeed it was purposeful to hover over the alleged weapons area, knew these weapons were there is perhaps a point of interest in itself. On that particular evening, Staff Sergeant Danny Lewis was on watch duty, with the weapons area being his prime point of focus. So it was that when the bizarre object came into view, he was the first to see it. He would later estimate that it hovered at an altitude around 300 feet. On the underside was a red navigation light as well as a white strobe-type light. Meanwhile, in the control tower, the duty Sergeant, James Sampley would spot the aerial anomaly on the base’s radar system. When he initially saw the object, he would estimate it was around 10 miles from the base. As he watched it, however, it would move around the base on a circular route before moving in to within mere feet of the weapons storage. Realizing the potential security breach that was afoot, and not at all sure what this strange object was, he would begin informing his supervisors of the situation. At the same time, Lewis watched as the object made its way inside the confines of the base. Within seconds, the base was on security alert. In the control tower, Sergeant Grover Eggleston was now following events closely, watching the strange object on one of the radar screens. Meanwhile, a command had gone out for a manual grounds crew search of the base. Requests were also sent out to all nearby military and civilian airports for any information they may have on the intruding object over Loring Air Force Base. The object would ultimately remain hovering over the base, occasionally taking off to circle overhead before returning to its position over the weapons storage for around 40 minutes. Then, it would head in the direction of New Brunswick. When it got a distance of around 12 miles it would vanish from the radar screens. The base, however, would remain on alert for the rest of the night and well into the next day. However, the following night, at around the same time, the object returned. Once more, like the night before, at exactly the same time of 7:45 pm, the craft, or one identical to it returned. Once more, Danny Lewis was on duty and would once more witness the strange craft hovering over the base and then zero in on the base housing the nuclear weapons. As it approached, those on duty or at the base watching could clearly see flashed of “orange, red, and white” from the underside of the craft. Lewis would report the encounter immediately. This time, particularly given the strange and bizarre events of the previous evening, the Wing Commander himself would come to the location of the nuclear weapons. He too could see the bizarre object hovering overhead. As it would the night before, the base’s radar systems would pick up the object also. Furthermore, several other witnesses on the base, including Sergeant Steven Eickner claimed to see an “orange and red object, shaped like a stretched-out football”. They would watch as it hovered strangely in midair and then marveled as the brilliant glow of lights suddenly darkened. The next thing they knew, the craft was only 150 feet off the ground, hovering over the runway. Those who witnessed this bizarre part of the evening unfold would estimate the object to be at least 80 feet in length. What’s more, there appeared to be no doors or windows in the object’s exterior. Almost as if it was made from one continuous piece of metallic-like material. Perhaps of most interest, and certainly something we have discussed before as being a key reason for UFO secrecy was the propulsion system. Or more to the point, the apparent lack of one, at least in terms of how we understand the laws that govern flight. The entire base was put on immediate alert and would remain so for the rest of the evening, after the object moved off several moments later, once more in the direction of New Brunswick just as it had done the previous evening. Much like the previous evening, reports were sent directly to their superiors through their relevant and usual chains of command. The following day, reinforcements would arrive – mainly in the shape of National Guard helicopter. Even more interestingly, the Canadian government and, in turn, their military were given permission to cross the Canadian-American border if required (so long as a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) was with them. It would seem to any interested watchers – including the local press who were in the middle of a UFO and alien abduction frenzy similar to the 1970s – that the military was taking the incidents more than seriously. When another sighting on the evening of the 29th of October occurred, prompting the Canadian RCMP to accompany a helicopter across the border in an attempt to locate the strange aerial visitor it would appear that interest on the part of the local press was well placed. However, despite yet another apparent confirmation on radar, the chase would prove unsuccessful. The following evening came yet another incident, with confirmation on radar and visually from the ground. Once more, however, the security teams operating out of, or near to Loring Air Force Base would draw a blank when trying to locate and intercept the strange craft. The bizarre and unnerving sightings would continue for several weeks until the end of the year, decreasing in frequency as they did so. Sometime in 2013, a former KC-135 military pilot, Michael Wallace, would claim to have first-hand knowledge of a UFO incident over Loring Air Force Base in 1975. Wallace would claim that he was piloting a plane back to the air force base following an air-to-air refueling mission. Furthermore, only days previously, all flight crews who belonged to his unit (the 42nd Bomb Wing) were to report to a sudden meeting. Before the meeting began, “a uniformed Major” stood in front of the group and informed them that anyone “without at least secret clearance” had the leave the room. The Major would state that “a UFO had been reported over the base”. Specifically, this aerial anomaly was positioned over the “nuclear- armed B-52s”. The major would then continue with further details of the actual sighting: “It’s hovering without making any sound. It does have a few lights. It can move very quickly, unconventionally, rapid straight-line movements with straight vertical movements… so it’s pretty incredible technology! The Major went on to state there was a concern that the local press would become suspicious. Aside from the reports of civilians (which they could do little about), the increased number of personnel and ground staff at the base would likely only increase their interest. In order to combat these potential, and likely inevitable suspicions, a cover story had already been prepared. This would be that a helicopter was coming across the Canadian border and “harassing us”. Even to anyone outside of the room, this would be the official story. THE KOLMJARV GHOST ROCKET SIGHTING To farmer Knut Lindbäck (interviewed in 1984 at the age of 68) and his maid Beda Persson (18 years old in 1946), July 19, 1946, was a busy Friday. Hay-making was going on. Knut and Beda worked by the leaning shores of Lake Kölmjärv. It was 11:45 - almost noon - and the sun was broiling hot. All of a sudden a humming sound was heard from the sky. “I looked up since I thought it was an airplane, says Knut today. Instead, I spotted a rocket-like device diving towards the lake. In the company of Beda he watched the two meters long, ashen-gray projectile falling into the water about 1.5 km away, near the south-western shore of the lake. A tall column of water emerged and was soon followed by yet another cascade. (There was, reportedly, no wood or other objects to hinder the witnesses’ view of the object's trajectory). “That it was a solid object of that I am sure,” says Knut, who still remembers the incident very well. “The object was two meters long and had a snub nose, while the stern was pointed. I thought there were a few small wing-like protrusions on the side, but I am not sure. Everything happened so quickly! The length of the water pillar was "a few meters" according to the first newswire report cabled to all Swedish newspapers. From contemporary news items it is further evident that there was no light on, or from, the object. The Swedish news agency TT reported that the two prime witnesses had heard no explosions, however, Lindbäck told Dagens Nyheter that "there was a smashing sound, but this was probably from the water thrown up." The magnitude of the crash is underlined, however, by yet another witness (located in 1984) who was standing by the northern shore of the lake, just a couple of hundred meters from the site of impact. Frideborg Tagebo, 14 years old in 1946, remembers everything clearly: “The sound was horrible. I had never heard anything like it before - or since. My mother, who was washing clothes down at the shore, shouted at me to shut the windows because she thought it was a tornado coming in. Our dog went crazy and ran away. Everything was terrible. When the thing eventually stroke (sic-struck?) down, it was like a bomb had detonated.” Lindbäck, further away, immediately took his bike and followed the road along the lake until he reached a spot near to the observed crash site. Here he went out on the lake in a rowing-boat. “When I rowed to the spot I saw that seaweed and water-lilies had been torn off by their roots and thrown ashore. The water was completely muddy and it was impossible to discern if there was an object on the bottom. Water was not deep here, only about two meters or so. On that same evening (Friday) police and Home Guard personnel were posted along the lake with orders to cordon off the area and keep a watch on the crash site, after a neighbor of Lindbäck had called the law enforcement office. During the night between Friday and Saturday, a military group from the Ing. 3 engineer corps in Boden started off in lorries towards Kölmjärv. On July 20 (Saturday morning) then-lieutenant Karl-Gösta Bartoll arrived at Kölmjärv in the company of a group of soldiers to search for the rocket. When the Kölmjärv crash happened, he had been with the Ing.3 corps for five years, thus a main part of the war years. On the (sic-that) Saturday there were some preliminary investigations on the site, and on Sunday morning further personnel and equipment arrived from Boden. Later, a civilian expert from the Boliden mining company arrived with an instrument that would indicate iron objects in the water. The instrument resembled today's metal detectors, says Karl-Gosta Bartoll, but in those days it was unique. For almost two weeks we searched the lake, but all we found was a wood- gas burner a (sic and) a few other familiar iron objects. Rumors went wild, however, one week after the crash, distributed by the national press: "The rocket projectile has been found, according to precise (sic!) information. This could not be confirmed, however, on the[that?] Sunday evening since a lightning storm had broken the telephone lines to Lindback. The military... (had) first used mine search equipment, but later changed to an iron detector. A steel-wire is stretched across the 150 meters lake... The whole lake has been squared, and now it seems that the efforts have been rewarded. Late on Sunday evening Dagens Nyheter made contact with Captain Dimander of the local defense staff in Kalix. He had had no contact with Lindback on the[that?] Sunday since the lines had been broken. In verkalix there were persistent rumors Sunday evening that the bomb had been located... The projectile was three meters long and painted with white letters." Authorities denied the rumors, of course: "According to information from the Air Defence division of the Defence Staff the ghost bomb has not yet been found... Rumors on Sunday that it had been recovered are completely unfounded." Reported a nation-wide newspaper: "A military unit of ten men was dispatched to the lake on Saturday and soon found the spot where the projectile had sank (sic-sunk) into the bottom. Water depth at that point is only 75 centimeters and the projectile had made a meter wide hole which was very deep in the mud. When an oar was put into this hole, it wouldn't reach the bottom, so reinforcements were called for. The projectile must have had an immense rate of speed since large quantities of mud have been thrown far away around the crash site. It is hoped that, thanks to the mud which has lessened the impact, it will be possible to recover the projectile. One estimates, however, that there will be a few days work before the object can be dug out." The military started to build a raft by the shore, says Rune Lindbäck, the neighbor  who called on the authorities. They were very careful not to use iron nails which would have disturbed their sensitive instruments. The raft was tied by ropes of hemp. From the raft the military could see how moraine and stones from deeper layers had been forced up. Everything pointed to an explosion below the water surface. There are many indications that the Kölmjärv object disintegrated itself. First of all, Lindbäck saw a second cascade of water after the first impact and, secondly, an old lady living in a cottage near the crash site reported she had heard a muffled thunder-clap. The object was probably manufactured in a light- weight material, possibly a kind of magnesium alloy that would disintegrate easily and not give any indications on the instruments. Finally, in mid-August, the stream of speculations ended in question marks: "The investigations of a claimed projectile crash site has[have] now been suspended without results. Except for electrical mine searches, geological ore detectors have been used. In all spots where the instruments have reacted to metal, further searches were made with trawls, electrical sounding, and the mud was even sifted. Drainage of the lake will not be attempted." And so ended the search, which the Chief of the Swedish Air Defense, Nils Ahlgren, labeled "the safest indication of a crash", in nothing. But behind the newswires there was more to the story...The military investigation of the small Norrbotten Lake was not to go about undisturbed. After a few days a sentinel discovered a couple of mysterious persons sneaking about in the woods near the crash point. They were spotted several times and finally Lieutenant Bartoll ordered live ammunition in the weapons. The two mysterious men kept hidden and no spies were ever caught.
next previous previous